Blog
I live now in an Age of Intellect. This is because I have been in recent weeks
1) Reading fairly advanced stuff in Philosophy, in preparation for my Honours Thesis
2) Learning the ins and outs of new board games, as well as being involved in teaching and playing them with students, in line with an internship I am under; and
3) Playing Agricola, a complex board game requiring various thinking skills, both on and offline.
In other words, I have been, and will be using my brain a lot, more so than in any 3-month block in the past.
I live too in an Age of Cockroaches, as I have spotted (and killed) 2 cockroaches in my house in the past few weeks. One might point out that this could simply be a coincidence and not due to any systematic occurence that would justify the hailing of an era. But we should ask which is the more reasonable explanation to adpot: a statistical anomaly giving rise to the spotting of such unsightly creatures, for before these past few weeks I have never spotted a single cockroach in my place for at least a year; or the fact that cockroaches are now actively breeding in my house. Before you go eew and postulate that I live in an unkempt place, allow me to suggest that even extremely posh and clean houses have their own share of cockroaches lurking somewhere, always. At this very instant, there should be at least 1 cockroach either in your home, or in a place readily accessible to your home. The question is whether these cockroaches are just tourists or citizens.
I had a dream last night. In the dream I invited 2 female acquaintances and 3 male friends for a jog. 1 of the females called another along, whom I recognised but who went somewhere else. Another was quiet, someone whom I haven't seen in a long time, and who didn't mind the fact that she didn't know anyone else but me. Cut to a scene where we were all attending a mass exercise conducted by a trainer. I was alone with many other strangers, on a muddy field. Everyone else was on a dry sandy ground some distance away.
Cut to a cosy underground room, fully airconditioned. I own this room. I like this room alot, especially in afternoons where my whole family isn't around and I can have the whole place to myself. I recall that there's a concert going on - and for some reason I find myself wanting to stay in the room and listen to the concert live, as though the concert would unfold itself in the room. I lie down on a mattress and feel an immense sense of tranquility.
End of dream.
I haven't had a dream in a long while. Or, at least, I haven't had a dream I can recall upon waking up in a long while. I like dreams; I like dreams like the one above. They make me think of things I don't ordinarily think of, in ways I don't usually do. They make me feel surreal for some time; the really powerful and unique ones linger for days.
I think I shall go play Agricola for now, a reward for finishing a written assignment earlier.
1) Reading fairly advanced stuff in Philosophy, in preparation for my Honours Thesis
2) Learning the ins and outs of new board games, as well as being involved in teaching and playing them with students, in line with an internship I am under; and
3) Playing Agricola, a complex board game requiring various thinking skills, both on and offline.
In other words, I have been, and will be using my brain a lot, more so than in any 3-month block in the past.
I live too in an Age of Cockroaches, as I have spotted (and killed) 2 cockroaches in my house in the past few weeks. One might point out that this could simply be a coincidence and not due to any systematic occurence that would justify the hailing of an era. But we should ask which is the more reasonable explanation to adpot: a statistical anomaly giving rise to the spotting of such unsightly creatures, for before these past few weeks I have never spotted a single cockroach in my place for at least a year; or the fact that cockroaches are now actively breeding in my house. Before you go eew and postulate that I live in an unkempt place, allow me to suggest that even extremely posh and clean houses have their own share of cockroaches lurking somewhere, always. At this very instant, there should be at least 1 cockroach either in your home, or in a place readily accessible to your home. The question is whether these cockroaches are just tourists or citizens.
I had a dream last night. In the dream I invited 2 female acquaintances and 3 male friends for a jog. 1 of the females called another along, whom I recognised but who went somewhere else. Another was quiet, someone whom I haven't seen in a long time, and who didn't mind the fact that she didn't know anyone else but me. Cut to a scene where we were all attending a mass exercise conducted by a trainer. I was alone with many other strangers, on a muddy field. Everyone else was on a dry sandy ground some distance away.
Cut to a cosy underground room, fully airconditioned. I own this room. I like this room alot, especially in afternoons where my whole family isn't around and I can have the whole place to myself. I recall that there's a concert going on - and for some reason I find myself wanting to stay in the room and listen to the concert live, as though the concert would unfold itself in the room. I lie down on a mattress and feel an immense sense of tranquility.
End of dream.
I haven't had a dream in a long while. Or, at least, I haven't had a dream I can recall upon waking up in a long while. I like dreams; I like dreams like the one above. They make me think of things I don't ordinarily think of, in ways I don't usually do. They make me feel surreal for some time; the really powerful and unique ones linger for days.
I think I shall go play Agricola for now, a reward for finishing a written assignment earlier.
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home