...

The world is a comedy to those that think, a tragedy to those that feel. -Horace Walpole

Name:
Location: Singapore

Tutor at NUS.

Tuesday, April 18, 2006

-

5 guys asleep, in varying states of undress, on 4 beds. Such was the most memorable experience I took away from my first guard duty. The room we slept in after completing our night duties was as barren as it could be: grey concrete floor, 4 fans, a bare cupboard, no curtains, no bedsheets, walls with the most depressing shade of beige.

I thought the scene artistic in several ways. It reminded me of the kind of place that would qualify as a fugitives’ hideout, the kind you see in movies every now and then. Or of an artist’s room, minus his many sheets of drafts that would be strewn all over the place and that would, in the future, bring about a change in his fortunes. It reminded me of the kind of place a jew would be hiding at in germany in world war II—Adrien Brody, The Pianist, that’s it. I thought the sunlight streaming in was unnecessary though; it spoilt the scene by being unnecessarily bright. Nope, you cant have sunlight in that kind of scene. It’s not artistic.

I found out more about the guy lying beside me. He smokes, has been in and out of relationships, was from laselle, learnt video, and has written and made amateur films which have found themselves in both local and international circles—Berlin arts festival, can you bloody imagine. Hes bagged several thousand dollars consequently—not a lot, definitely, but it’s enough to support his smoking habits and besides, who knows, he could be the next royston tan. What’s important is that he let me in into this small firm that specializes in exporting and circulating amateur films—very interesting, would need to find out more about all this underground stuff going on here and there.

Really you know, the coincidence.

On a separate issue, fashion-lites, strong romantics, and other pretentious classes of people have come to my attention recently. Normally I prefer not to bother myself with them, preferring instead to observe people who dislike them bother themselves with them (only to realize, at a later time, that they are the very people they dislike), but I feel tempted to say a word or two; an essay is in order. For now though, allow me to say that I am pleased my own group of friends are classless and would, one day, rule the world. Tehehe.

4 Comments:

Blogger Miao 妙 said...

I find Adrien Brody rather charming.

And Berlin Arts Festival, WOW.

2:35 PM, April 19, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wanna be classless, clever and free.

yt

11:28 PM, April 19, 2006  
Blogger SirWhale said...

You already are.

10:17 PM, April 21, 2006  
Blogger nick said...

remember me when you rule the world.

bwahaheh.

11:22 PM, April 29, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home