...

The world is a comedy to those that think, a tragedy to those that feel. -Horace Walpole

Name:
Location: Singapore

Tutor at NUS.

Thursday, November 26, 2009

Lunch and society



Lunch for today, Hup Hup bak chor mee at Ang Moh Kio Central Block 724 Food Centre. Supposedly very good, but it wasn't really to my liking. Ingredients were good and plenty for $2.50, noodles were bouncy, soup was tasty. But I like bak chor mee with the strong vinegar taste, for this one the tomato ketchup taste was too strong. Or maybe they got my order wrong, and gave me the no-chilli version instead of the less-chilli version. You would have thought mee kia with the vinegar taste would be pretty common everywhere but in recent times a new style seems to have replaced it. This new style, like the one I had for lunch, seems to emphasise the ketchup taste more, at the expense of the vinegar taste. It's hard to find the older style these days, at least at the areas around me.

I had no problems finding the place but I forgot the way back and so after lunch I got lost among the shophouses and HDB flats. Not that I minded though, it's always nice and peaceful to stroll around neighbourhoods and stretches of shophouses after lunch. I saw school kids with uniforms tucked out and long j-pop style hair accentuating their perceived wildness, mothers screaming at babies in trolleys screaming back at them, mobile-phone shop attendants with dyed hair dyed blonde looking listless in their small counters in the hot afternoon weather, old folk some in groups some alone all walking at a slow pace in any case. I missed the train, waited 6 minutes for it, saw people rushing for seats when it came, noted that there will always be more people than there are seats. This is how society is, this is how society will ever be.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home