...

The world is a comedy to those that think, a tragedy to those that feel. -Horace Walpole

Name:
Location: Singapore

Tutor at NUS.

Thursday, May 18, 2006

Chapter 7

I went back to school earlier today to collect my A level certificate. Kind of early, I guess, judging from the empty nominal roll, but it hardly matters.

I thought of visiting several tutors. For all my passivity in and outside class I’ve developed an indescribable attachment toward them. Maybe it’s because they had provided guidance for me in one way or the other: what I should do in the future, why it doesn’t matter that life doesn’t matter, the importance of being earnest, why and how I should be more optimistic, how to chase girls, other important stuff which have or would surely contribute to my personal well-being in the years to come. I miss those consultation sessions, and I would have visited those tutors if a sentence hadn’t struck me at the precise moment I was deliberating what to do after I had the cert in my hands. “Kenneth Chong, you’re leaving as quietly as you came?” That was said to me by my secondary 4 history tutor, after I had my O-level cert in my hands, and I recall having it said to me again, with some syntactical variation, by a classmate when…I forgot. So I thought, hey yea, since when did Kenneth Chong leave things with a farewell and goodbye?

I wonder how Mrs Ho’s doing. I wonder if my tutors would remember me years down the road, because, prominent as they are in some of our lives, they’d probably had and would take many more batches of students under their influence. On a large scale, we’d all look the same.

As I headed for the main gate (as quietly as possible) I noticed, for perhaps the last time, how beautiful the front driveway of the school as well as the adjacent neighborhood outside it is. There are plants and it’s quiet. I miss those times I’d travel down the driveway, sometimes with a friend or two but mostly alone, to have a quiet lunch outside the school’s premises, at the coffeeshops in the neighbourhood. I never did understand why people liked eating in the canteen so much when it was so dark and noisy. I never did understand the people there, but that’s beside the topic. The topic is the beauty of the driveway and the adjacent neighbourhood and how I like walking out the school alone.

There are many gaps which should be filled. There are many memories I can use to fill them. There are many shades of color I can pick out and paint, many words I can string together in an effort to represent the threads of the life I led in the past 2 years, but not so now because Im closing the chapter. It had, in a sense, never been opened, and if it had, never well-written.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

But, you know, you have changed quite a fair bit since secondary school. So why should you stick to a fragment of the past?

For a still very funny fact, remember "girls are easier to understand"? It is so funny because it marked a significant milestone in your life. This is a prime example of a 360deg swivel that is so amazing it was utterly hilarious.

The gate holds no memories for me. To me it is still a long frickin slope. Nevertheless, I did enjoy the cool serenity of the grandstand in the mornings. There is just something pleasing about sitting on cool concrete in a wide open space while the sun could not yet rise enough to reach us.

Yes to last paragraph. It's time to move on, though we should never forget the people who helped make us who we are today.

9:14 AM, May 19, 2006  
Blogger Miao 妙 said...

I love watching the sunset while walking down the driveway.

Anyway here are snippets of a Chinese poem for you to enjoy:

“轻轻地我走了,
正如我轻轻地来;
我轻轻地招手,
作别西天的云彩。

……
……

悄悄地我走了,
正如我悄悄地来;
我挥一挥衣袖,
不带走一片云彩。”

The poem that came to mind when I read "...since when did Kenneth Chong leave things with a farewell and goodbye?"

4:28 PM, May 19, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, life has to move on... that's why eyes are in front and brain is behind to recall memories...

3:33 PM, May 21, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey c'mon we could just evolve and have ESP then that would become invalid.

6:51 PM, May 21, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There are people who contribute quietly to the society and there are people who want to show off their contributions....whatever it is, as long as you are not a liability to the society and that is important..... whether you are a black or white cat, as long as you can catch mice you are a capable cat....

7:31 AM, May 26, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home