...

The world is a comedy to those that think, a tragedy to those that feel. -Horace Walpole

Name:
Location: Singapore

Tutor at NUS.

Sunday, August 03, 2008

Viva La Vida (Or a lack of life)

I dislike the latest album by Coldplay. To me the songs lack energy, creativity and unity. They give me the feeling of being made by someone who put together a few lines, closed his eyes, and sang them with any tune that came to mind. 42 has two incongruous tunes in one track, as if the band ran out of ideas midway and didn't want admit they were lost in the wilderness of lackadaisicalness. Compare this with Yellow, a song flowing with verve, melody and just unadulterated goodness.

The first album was downtempo and loungish. Though not overflowing with emotion the songs had this coherence in them generally possessed very good tunes. Second album was heart-rending. Who doesn't feel anything when they listen to The Scientist and A Rush of Blood to the Head? Third album imbued the first's loungish feel with a space-feel while retaining some of the second album's mellow moments. The fourth is, sadly, the crown disappointment in the family, though I might just save it for times when I feel like not feeling anything at all.

3 Comments:

Blogger Zhan said...

I actually find their new album quite refreshing... if you really want to compare the old stuff mostly drone to each other soon enough, but here the production in the background is actually not bad at all and Chris Martin doesnt drone as bad as before.

sure it may lack a single " sure fire" hit like rush of blood or clocks, but I find the album much more substantial and well rounded.

10:19 PM, August 05, 2008  
Blogger SirWhale said...

It's the current album that drones aimlessly.

10:11 PM, August 06, 2008  
Blogger Miao 妙 said...

I think they have maintained their standard.

6:31 PM, August 24, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home