...

The world is a comedy to those that think, a tragedy to those that feel. -Horace Walpole

Name:
Location: Singapore

Tutor at NUS.

Wednesday, February 03, 2010

2 responses

I'd criticise people who cherry-pick modules based on how easy they think it is to score in them, at the expense of intellectual or personal interest. This semester, however, I replaced 2 modules that had group project components with 2 that didn't, at the expense of some intellectual interest. How different am I then from those I'd criticise?

2 responses here. 1) I retract my impressions of such people and concede that I am just as pragmatic, or shallow, as them. Or 2), I argue that shunning modules which one believes one can't score in is more shallow than shunning modules that have group projects in them.

I'll give this issue more thought the next time the bus takes 20 minutes to arrive.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you shunned the modules because you don't like group projects, that's fine. I guess maybe it's a matter of how you prefer to work?

However, I do know someone who, like you said, "cherry-picked" modules. He got first-class honours, to a large extent, because he conscientiously selected "easy" modules that he knew he would score well in.

Sure, he may have gotten his first-class honours degree, but imho, it defeats the whole point of academic pursuit.

A university degree is not just about grades, but the thirst for knowledge, the value of doing research to shed light on something that is little known. Sadly, these qualities are lacking in some students, who prefer to take "safe" modules and get a degree that would increase their chances of finding a high-paying job. Should that be the point of a uni education in Singapore?

Maybe that is why we don't see many famous local scholars.

11:18 PM, February 10, 2010  

Post a Comment

<< Home