In spite of all my fears/ I can see it all so clear (Crystals by Monsters and Men)
I've been playing more and more board games of late, and this has overtaken computer gaming for me. There's nothing good or bad in this - it's just another turning point in my life I suppose.
I've come to learn that designing a board game, which I've been trying to do the past few months, is not as easy as I thought it'd be. Things work out well in my head but don't work so well in reality. And this is already given the fact that I know from experience that things generally don't work out so smoothly in practice than on paper. That is to say, I'd already tried to compensate for the discrepancy between theory and practice, and yet still fell short. I'd thought that I've learnt this lesson well enough from other areas of life, but I think while the general lesson has been learnt, boardgame design is still a relatively new field for me. I just need to keep on trying.
On the brighter side, I've been given an unexpected job offer for a job which fits my current pursuits well. It just fell out of the sky and landed in my email box from a professor I've once tutored for. I guess it's always good to keep good relations with people, effortful as that might be.
And so I've been engaged with that the past few weeks. Apparently another name for a group interview is a "small chat", and I was quite surprised, not to mention comparatively underdressed, for the small chat. All worked out well in the end though. The boss I report to is a stately lady academic working on the university management side of things. These high-ranking administrators have large and brightly lit offices, switch effortlessly between good English and Singlish, and provide well-heeled snacks for meetings. There's a unique mannerism belonging to upper-middle class Singaporeans, come to think of it. I suspect it's most likely the result of an intelligent and diligent personality, and a certain light-heartedness owing to the fact that they lead comfortable material lives. In any case, I always find it pleasurable to be privy to this sample of society, in large part because I must appear calm, intelligent, and subtly playful in such company. I like playing this game.
I recently met a school principal in a board games meetup. I was quite surprised by this because, amongst other reasons, it's simply statistically improbable to meet such a person in any context outside of education. The interesting thing is, he lives a few blocks away from me - and has an exactly same-sounding name as another middle aged female board gamer I know...who also lives in the exact same stretch of blocks he lives in. Yuki. When this dawned on me I felt like I was in a Murakami novel, like I wasn't sure if I was dreaming or awake: could I have, through some perturbation of my memory, met only one person but felt like I'd met two?
I've come to learn that designing a board game, which I've been trying to do the past few months, is not as easy as I thought it'd be. Things work out well in my head but don't work so well in reality. And this is already given the fact that I know from experience that things generally don't work out so smoothly in practice than on paper. That is to say, I'd already tried to compensate for the discrepancy between theory and practice, and yet still fell short. I'd thought that I've learnt this lesson well enough from other areas of life, but I think while the general lesson has been learnt, boardgame design is still a relatively new field for me. I just need to keep on trying.
On the brighter side, I've been given an unexpected job offer for a job which fits my current pursuits well. It just fell out of the sky and landed in my email box from a professor I've once tutored for. I guess it's always good to keep good relations with people, effortful as that might be.
And so I've been engaged with that the past few weeks. Apparently another name for a group interview is a "small chat", and I was quite surprised, not to mention comparatively underdressed, for the small chat. All worked out well in the end though. The boss I report to is a stately lady academic working on the university management side of things. These high-ranking administrators have large and brightly lit offices, switch effortlessly between good English and Singlish, and provide well-heeled snacks for meetings. There's a unique mannerism belonging to upper-middle class Singaporeans, come to think of it. I suspect it's most likely the result of an intelligent and diligent personality, and a certain light-heartedness owing to the fact that they lead comfortable material lives. In any case, I always find it pleasurable to be privy to this sample of society, in large part because I must appear calm, intelligent, and subtly playful in such company. I like playing this game.
I recently met a school principal in a board games meetup. I was quite surprised by this because, amongst other reasons, it's simply statistically improbable to meet such a person in any context outside of education. The interesting thing is, he lives a few blocks away from me - and has an exactly same-sounding name as another middle aged female board gamer I know...who also lives in the exact same stretch of blocks he lives in. Yuki. When this dawned on me I felt like I was in a Murakami novel, like I wasn't sure if I was dreaming or awake: could I have, through some perturbation of my memory, met only one person but felt like I'd met two?

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home