...

The world is a comedy to those that think, a tragedy to those that feel. -Horace Walpole

Name:
Location: Singapore

Tutor at NUS.

Thursday, January 13, 2005

I realise...

Music: Catatonia- Stone by Stone
Book: Sophie's World, Jostein Gaarder.

Yeayea old book.

Very, very free at the moment. The feeling's good, really good. Thats the sweet thing bout actually doing work. You get to appreciate your time better. A relaxed timetable also helps, can get to enjoy the night better with the knowledge the day after is going to be a light day.

I just found out NJ and HCJC's students get out of school quite early. Barely 3 and large pools of them were milling outside at the bus-stops already. Maybe they skip lessons too. It is very important to skip lessons for the greater good of your life.

Almost all of NUS administrative officers are females. No wait actually I think it's 100%. Talk about gender equality. Was particularly amusing watching old ladies rushing about; they held hands too, and joked about as if they've still had a measure of youth ahead of them. Then there were the young ones, dye hair walk with poise etc etc; I've always got an eye for office wear, a consequence of constantly appraising my mum's office wear when I was young--she would force me to go to her room, and I would sit on her bed, and she would come out dressed with her secretarial office wear and I would comment on it and then she would go and change and come out again, untill I said she looked nice in it, which I never did anyway.

My correspondent was an incredibly, incredibly incredibly young female, so young I felt like I was talking to a same-age peer. Critical information couldve been pumped if I had slept earlier the night before. You need concentration, composure, creativity and a certain measure of flair when it comes to this kind of thing; when I asked for her working experience [for the age] she said "sensitive lah that one", with a small laugh. They always have a small laugh when it comes to issues of that sort, it's like a compulsory thing. Allright nevermind if its a small laugh--but it's always the similar sort of small laugh.

Point is, I wonder what's she doing about her life. She was from TJC, she took business, and there she is, in a small room in a section of a university hall, doing pretty nothing much besides clerical duties, of which there were many similar females like her doing those duties anyway. How many years would it take for her to rise to be...to be what? Is she content doing that kind of work for the rest of her life, making phone calls typing this typing that, with little say in this and that. It is appealing in some ways, yes, but well you see, she struck me as a ambitious person with a certain degree of good elegance. She in that dark, sparse, cramped office space? Nah, I say move elsewhere.

We'll talk more another time.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Many JCs JC2 end at about 3 nowadays, due to the teach less learn more thing. VJC JC2s got lighter timetable.

12:49 AM, January 14, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

N 2 add on, I present 2 u my time table...2.25 on mon, tue n wed, 3 on thurs and 11.30 for FRI!!! LOOSER.....
Louser.

10:04 PM, January 14, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home