...

The world is a comedy to those that think, a tragedy to those that feel. -Horace Walpole

Name:
Location: Singapore

Tutor at NUS.

Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Update/ Aimee Mann, Wilco, Sparklehorse

Ok. I'm feeling quite tired now, which is a good thing because it means I'll be able to sleep earlier tonight.

Ok. Life has been different from the general past recently. I'm spending more time outside, I'm reading more, I'm writing more, I'm turning back to my cd collection, I'm sleeping earlier, I'm waking up earlier, I do static exercises half the times I leave my house and 10% of the times I return, I've become, in a sense, more disciplined. This is actually nothing new - hence I say different from the general past. Pockets of my life have resembled this sort of lifestyle, though none long enough to file away as a chapter in my diary.

I'm taking 4 modules this semester, because I didn't find the 5th one interesting enough (decision was made after the 3rd lecture). It's fine in the general scheme of things because I'm ahead of schedule having done some modules in the special semester . I would've preferred to use those modules to graduate 1 semester earlier, or to offset the higher level modules I'm going to take in the future, but I guess this way is fine too. I am firm on my stand of module selection: I will only take those that I find interesting, regardless of how inconvenient they are, regardless of how tough they are. Hence, as some of you may have realised, I've got 3 8am lectures and I end late on most days, even after dropping the 5th module. One can point out that it's just 1 module and I can just bear with it, but I take my GEM/breadth slots very seriously and would only fill them up with modules I have a keen interest on. By the way, I end late enough to have dinner in school on most days, so feel free to call me up.

Taking 1 module short of the norm means I've got more time than the average person has, and that time will go into reading outside and writing more. 2 writing assignments are in the pipeline, both prose but I hope to do some plays too. Been a long since I wrote plays. I usually pen down rough ideas and inspirations on paper, and right now I got sheets of them. I need to keep on writing.

My music player has very nice 5 and 4-star songs. I wish they allow a rating of 6. Speaking of technology I need to get a new phone and a better sound system too. That means either a very expensive phone that doubles up as a decent music player, or a cheaper phone and a splurge on some speakers. I'm quite tired now.

I'm looking forward to 14th February because I am going to a performance alone. I can't remember the last time I went to a movie or a play or a performance alone. I think it was 1 of Stoppard's double bills. Oh no it isn't. It was The Pillowman, not too bad a play at all. Alone on 14th February is an irony only to the extent you think 14th February is Valentine's Day, and that the day means anything at all.

In any case, I'm looking forward to the performance because it's a time where I can be alone. Try it if you haven't before. Go to a performance, a play, a movie, a late night's supper, all by yourself. Even better when it's night and it's cold. Then you can put your hands in your pocket, walk down the quiet streets, and feel a sense of tranquility no other experience can give you.

I also want to plan for a day out at sentosa with a friend or two on my off day. It's nice to have friends with whom you can spend the day talking little and still feel no unease at all.

I'm listening to White Winter Hymnal now. In my room I go for Aimee Mann. For those who don't know what that is it's a kind of maggi mee.

In other important news, a can of milo now costs $1.90 at the convenience store and tastes more diluted than in the past.

2 Comments:

Blogger roticv said...

kc, why not downgrade your 4 stars to 3 stars and 5 stars to 4 stars?

11:12 PM, January 23, 2009  
Blogger SirWhale said...

Good idea.

11:24 AM, January 24, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home