...

The world is a comedy to those that think, a tragedy to those that feel. -Horace Walpole

Name:
Location: Singapore

Tutor at NUS.

Tuesday, August 04, 2009

Public Nuisance (II)

STAGE: Bare. When curtain rises MAN and WOMAN are standing motionless. MAN is holding a tin can filled with some coins. He holds it out to WOMAN.

WOMAN: No.

MAN shakes the can. Pause.

WOMAN: [Turning away] No.

MAN: Why?

WOMAN: No.

Pause.

MAN: Would you like -

WOMAN: No.

MAN: Why not?

WOMAN: I'm not sure if I need to explain my actions to you.

MAN: It's for a good -

WOMAN: Unfortunate.

MAN: Please help -

WOMAN: Why?

MAN: Others are suffering while you lead a decent life. You can help by -

WOMAN: I'm under no obligation to improve the lives of others.

MAN: A small sum that doesn't matter much to you matters a lot to -

WOMAN: I'm not sure if you know my financial situation more than I do.

MAN: You can't be poor. If you are then I apologise for -

WOMAN: Thank you.

Silence for several moments.

MAN: Would you like to -

WOMAN: No.

MAN: Are you in a hurry?

WOMAN: I'm not sure. [Turns away]

MAN: The Old Folks Association is a non-profit -

WOMAN: No.

MAN: [To the audience] People are not compassionate these days.

WOMAN: [Turns back to MAN] Compassion isn't measured by how much one puts into a tin can.

MAN: It's measured by the willingness to help others in need.

WOMAN: This isn't a good way to help others.

MAN: I'm curious how a well-heeled person like yourself can be so apathetic to the plight of others. Does it not prick your conscience?

WOMAN: If you're really so concerned over the plight of others donating to social research may be more effective.

MAN: I'm not sure I understand.

WOMAN: Don't cut me off while I'm speaking.

MAN: You finished.

WOMAN: No.

MAN: You're crazy.

WOMAN: Tell me why we should help others.

MAN: It is a reflection of our humanity.

WOMAN: Tell me why we need to reflect on our humanity.

MAN: Look at it this way -

WOMAN: No.

MAN: You cut me off while I was -

WOMAN: Apologies.

MAN: You're crazy.

WOMAN: Please continue.

MAN: If we are in a state where no one helps anyone else, everyone would suffer.

WOMAN: I'm not helping anyone else and I'm not suffering.

MAN: That's because you were helped by others.

WOMAN: How does that translate into a need to help others?

MAN: You want others to help you but you don't want to help others? That translates simply into selfishness.

WOMAN: If I am to be grateful for the help I received isn't it more appropriate to help those who helped me, and not help any stranger who needs help?

MAN: You're a public nuisance.

WOMAN: I pay my taxes. If our government is to be trusted, I am already helping strangers.

MAN: There are imperfections in that system of allocation. That's where non-profit organisations -

WOMAN: You should lower your voice lest you become a public nuisance.

MAN: Oh right. [Glances around] As I was saying, -

WOMAN: I'm listening.

MAN: We in NGOs really want to help society without the weight of bureaucracy around our ankles.

WOMAN: I'm not obliged to help strangers.

MAN: You are that part of society which doesn't deserve to be part of society.

Silence for several moments.

WOMAN: I'm waiting for someone.

MAN: Would you like to be part of society?

WOMAN: We're always late.

MAN: Part of a society that bonds together to help each other?

WOMAN: Perhaps this is the wrong place.

MAN: Part of a moral, humane -

WOMAN: I'm not at the right place.

MAN: You are at the right place.

WOMAN: I got to go.

MAN: You can stay.

WOMAN: I can't stay.

MAN: You can stay.

WOMAN: I won't stay.

MAN: Would you like to donate -

WOMAN: No.

WOMAN walks away. She wanders about the stage for some time, as though trying to find a way out. During this time MAN, with the can in his hands, wanders about the front of the stage, as though he is waiting for another passer-by. They never meet. End.

1 Comments:

Blogger fishy! said...

A good commentary. I'd like to see this played out on stage. Think about all the exciting debates it'd spark. Then again it's an exciting debate on its own.

5:54 PM, August 10, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home