More tentative stuff
Met some people who are interested in picking up a play of mine.
We were to meet at some cafe but it was too crowded. So the director said let's do it in a hotel lobby. But that was too crowded too, so she asked: wanna go explore the hotel? And me and a friend said sure. I like how uninhibited these people are. I'm pretty sure some other people I know would have at least given some pause here, it being the case we were uninvited guests in a fairly posh hotel. Most of the levels had restricted access - one had to have a card to access those levels. But we still managed to sneak up to the cafe by the hotel pool. The important thing to note here is no one batted an eyelid. There wasn't even a palpable sense of adventure running through us. It implied a common understanding that really, none of us care too much about social propriety. Such things are not new to me, and it probably wasn't new to them.
That's that. The people I met were artistic people who spoke in a certain way. I was quite pleased throughout the meeting, for 3 reasons. 1) I had thought the meeting was to discuss my script. But they had already decided they wanted to stage it. There are many weak scripts these days, the director said. This is a strong one, and I want to go ahead and do it. And the rest agreed. 2) They were not fluffy, dreamy, idealistic, as one might have thought. (I say this from experience - I sometimes build castles in the air too) The discussion was pretty concrete and concrete steps and plans were set. I mentioned previously that there are some people you meet in life who make you feel you're in good hands when they say things like "I'll look into the matter". I didn't exactly get that feel, but I could sense some level of genuine passion and commitment from them, and maybe that's all we need now.
3) Because the discussion was pretty concrete, I gained some insights into theatre production. I now know the difference between a producer, production manager, and stage manager. I found out that rental of space for rehearsals for a project of this small scale would probably amount to $4000. I am witnessing first-hand the genesis of a play, how ideas float about, get penned down on pieces of paper, the process of recruiting a core team, applying for grants, everything.
That's that. The production, if it does make it in the end, would be nonprofessional. That's not optimal, because I really do need a professional play to get my name officially out there. But I can't complain, given that I am an amateur myself, and given that I haven't put in effort in marketing myself yet. That will come in due time - I need to get my studies settled first. I'm still glad people have expressed interest in my script though, and we'll see where this goes.
Given that one could enter the 4th level of the hotel, one could also use its swimming pool for free - there are even showers provided. This is something I must look into in due time too.



We were to meet at some cafe but it was too crowded. So the director said let's do it in a hotel lobby. But that was too crowded too, so she asked: wanna go explore the hotel? And me and a friend said sure. I like how uninhibited these people are. I'm pretty sure some other people I know would have at least given some pause here, it being the case we were uninvited guests in a fairly posh hotel. Most of the levels had restricted access - one had to have a card to access those levels. But we still managed to sneak up to the cafe by the hotel pool. The important thing to note here is no one batted an eyelid. There wasn't even a palpable sense of adventure running through us. It implied a common understanding that really, none of us care too much about social propriety. Such things are not new to me, and it probably wasn't new to them.
That's that. The people I met were artistic people who spoke in a certain way. I was quite pleased throughout the meeting, for 3 reasons. 1) I had thought the meeting was to discuss my script. But they had already decided they wanted to stage it. There are many weak scripts these days, the director said. This is a strong one, and I want to go ahead and do it. And the rest agreed. 2) They were not fluffy, dreamy, idealistic, as one might have thought. (I say this from experience - I sometimes build castles in the air too) The discussion was pretty concrete and concrete steps and plans were set. I mentioned previously that there are some people you meet in life who make you feel you're in good hands when they say things like "I'll look into the matter". I didn't exactly get that feel, but I could sense some level of genuine passion and commitment from them, and maybe that's all we need now.
3) Because the discussion was pretty concrete, I gained some insights into theatre production. I now know the difference between a producer, production manager, and stage manager. I found out that rental of space for rehearsals for a project of this small scale would probably amount to $4000. I am witnessing first-hand the genesis of a play, how ideas float about, get penned down on pieces of paper, the process of recruiting a core team, applying for grants, everything.
That's that. The production, if it does make it in the end, would be nonprofessional. That's not optimal, because I really do need a professional play to get my name officially out there. But I can't complain, given that I am an amateur myself, and given that I haven't put in effort in marketing myself yet. That will come in due time - I need to get my studies settled first. I'm still glad people have expressed interest in my script though, and we'll see where this goes.
Given that one could enter the 4th level of the hotel, one could also use its swimming pool for free - there are even showers provided. This is something I must look into in due time too.




0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home