...

The world is a comedy to those that think, a tragedy to those that feel. -Horace Walpole

Name:
Location: Singapore

Tutor at NUS.

Sunday, February 20, 2005

Deconstruct/Pschoanalyse maggi mee

Music: Travis - Quicksand
Book: Tom Stoppard - The Real Inspector Hound

Dont know why Quicksand didnt make it to Singles but it's good. It brings memories because I listened to it alot over the past year, but this is just a passing stage. I mean this is just the memory part of the poignant cycle. I mean...

Deconstruction theory (from what I grasp of it anyway) is so much more fun than psychoanalytic criticism.

My literature tutor did a little *psychoanalytic* reading on me not some time ago. She said, you have an external self and an internal self. Your external self seeks to blend in with the environment, but that's only because you wish to use it to your advantage. (No it didnt sound this harsh but I forgot what it was she said exactly) Your internal self is firm, unyielding.

The accuracy of this is, in a way, reinforced by the fact that she chose to talk about my self and the environment instead of picking out some other aspects, because the self and the environment is an issue that I have revolved around from the very start of my college days.

As a side note it gets highly entertaining when you substitute environment with an individual. You then get Self and Individual, where Individual is like Self in the sense that he or she are themselves like me in the Self-and-Environment arena. You then get a Self who is unyielding and subconsciously influencing Individual--who him/herself is doing the same thing. To reconciliate both sides completely would imply either strong conflict or a whole load of great time together.

After some thought I realised I am incapable of making good maggi mee. Maybe I should get a wife next time. Upon further consideration I'd rather have under/over cooked noodles.

5 Comments:

Blogger fishy! said...

If you ever find a wife, make sure she can cook more than instant noodles, trust me. =) A wife isn't that bad, have faith in most women ^_^

6:26 AM, February 20, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Muhahahaha.

9:14 PM, February 20, 2005  
Blogger nick said...

i can make good maggi mee. you wouldn't want to marry me, eh.

9:30 PM, February 21, 2005  
Blogger SirWhale said...

I wonder if it struck anyone that, given my insistence on settling down with a person of similar character, my hypothetical wife would be incapable of cooking good maggi mee.

Lets inverse the flow of thought: If one is NOT able to cook good maggi mee would it mean we can get along with each other? You know what? I actually think so.

"A wife isnt that bad, have faith in most women". I should have faith in most women (assuming I dont in the first place) because a wife isnt that bad? Or my faith in most women would make a wife not bad? On a more serious note I dont see how not-bad wife is linked to faith in most women.

It should have been, most women are not bad --> have faith in a wife. But hey, there's a gap in logic there too. Dont marry already like that.

9:55 PM, February 21, 2005  
Blogger fishy! said...

After some thought I realised I am incapable of making good maggi mee. Maybe I should get a wife next time. Upon further consideration I'd rather have under/over cooked noodles.Ahaha, is this a debate? Anyway, in your entry you sounded like you rather have under/over cooked noodles than have a wife. Inference: You have a problem with having a wife?

That was how I interpreted it ^^. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Ahaha, and you also sounded like you should get a wife because you can't make good maggie mee. That sounded like a derogatory comment towards women! ^^ Are we only there to feed you men?

It's as simple as that, don't read too much into it.

6:16 PM, February 22, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home