...

The world is a comedy to those that think, a tragedy to those that feel. -Horace Walpole

Name:
Location: Singapore

Tutor at NUS.

Sunday, March 06, 2005

Cave and the World

Music: Nothing in particular.
Book: Doris Lessing - The Fifth Child

Of all caves
That shelter and protect
None exists, as the hunter's does

Oh, the fictive realm
Where sorrow fades
Where oils of wounds get rubbed off
Where solitude comes as a bonfire
To keep the beasts at bay.


-Part I, Cave.


I've come across many feats of individualism, many saddening life stories. A recent one left me stunned. A peer in my nus course, she left her family in Malaysia prior to entering college here. Yes, as in just left them like that. I initially thought she left them to study here--a common occurence these days. I found out the truth when I asked her where did they stay (in Msia). She replied, I dont know where, followed by a "dont intend to visit them either".

So here she is. No guardian no relatives, no one to support her. Can you actually imagine? You in a foreign country, all alone--no financial support, no one to tell you where to go, things like handphone subscription which we take for granted she has got to handle herself etc. To see such cases on tv is one thing; to actually know such a person is another. How does she get by? University loans, bank loans, holding a part-time job. (Again, imagine the kind of independence) She got AAA for her A levels, undoubtedly she's going to excel in university, undoubtedly she's going to stay here alone for the rest of her life, no family no kin. When she graduates she would have no one to thank but herself, when she gets married there would be no tables for her family. I feel the compulsion to describe this as cute--this kind of things are cute (or "sweet") to me--but to do so would be insensitive to her situation; with all sincerity, she has my utmost respect and I wish her all the best.

Elsewhere, I skipped school on friday, in part because I was sick. In part because I wanted a break from this academic gridlock of sorts that I built for myself. I'll be skipping school on wednesday too, in part because of the champions league match that day and in part to clear the backlog of academic work (the nus thing actually, not college work) as well as that massive backlog of thoughts and feelings. I think at this level we have got to really dwelve into things, take some time out for ourselves every now and then.

On a lighter note, Mr Saiseong, Tan Kaiyi and BirdieFei I promise we'll go have a workout and/or swim the coming week.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home