...

The world is a comedy to those that think, a tragedy to those that feel. -Horace Walpole

Name:
Location: Singapore

Tutor at NUS.

Monday, April 18, 2005

The Scientist (II)

Music: Our Lady Peace - 4AM
Book: Mark Twain - Short Stories

Another beautiful piece, perfect for what I have come to term the moonlit night.

Im pretty much a romanticist, something that would come as a surprise to many, especially those in the arts faculty of nyjc. That sort of rhymes.

Things are improving on some fronts, deproving on others. It's a constant balancing act--but things as a whole are going up on account of a new strategy that is currently in its experimental phase. Im going to name it the Force Concentration Doctrine. Where previously I would strive to battle on all fronts I am now going to opt for optional warfare-- win in areas you can win, let the territories you can't hold die off.

Concentrate forces. Sleep well (ie sleep when people normally sleep, though today is an exception caused by..unnatural circumstances), study well at school, no more stay up till 2AM and transfer cognitive prowess from home to school--and hoist a white flag every morning.

Concentrate forces. Dont jump so easily on every portfolio-food. One Major Thing has finished already, next week another would be over, the rest are more or less on their way to completion. In 3 weeks time I should be really, really free.

Concentrate forces. Dont read books that appeal to interest; read books that are useful in the nearer term. Oh damn but mark twain's too good. Ok forget it I doubt I can comply with this self-regulation.

Concentrate forces. Concentrate on friends who I am compatible with--drop the rest. Cut those connections, if they come then they come if not they are dead roses. I never was a good garderner. Im very sick and tired all these farcical relations, all these changing temperaments; get out of my garden I only grow trees that stand for thousands of years.

Speaking of friends you do notice your friends listen to the same general school(s) of music and engage in the same kind of humour--do you? I do. It seems, at least in my context, that the greater the overlap of music interests and humour inclination the further the friendship would go. I wish I have the time and resources to conduct an academic/otherwise study on the relationship of music and/or humour with friendship.

Im also going to find out what defines 'mainstream' people.

Anyway, maybe old chang kee coming to toa payoh isnt such a good thing after all. At the rate Im eating those squid heads and curry puffs and crabmeat balls Im going to die at 30. And it's depleting my cash stock, which is so much more tragic than dying at 30 dont you think.

5 Comments:

Blogger nick said...

trust me. you always think that you're going to be really free the next week, and then the next, and then the next... let's face it, we're never going to be free until we go into NS, which is pretty much dropping from the frying pan into the flames.

oh yeah. who said death was a bad thing. ;)

9:34 PM, April 19, 2005  
Blogger SirWhale said...

Nah you know me. I WILL make myself free as and when I feel it's necessary.

Besides--and I dont know if this applies to others--college curriculum in terms of school time actually is very slack. It's just the work that bugs me so. Once it's cleared though I wouldnt mind an afternoon swimming, or a cup of coffee somewhere, anywhere...

11:12 PM, April 19, 2005  
Blogger a wandering jellybean said...

the songs that everyone listens to is part of pop culture. pop culture is a form of mass culture, as it appeals to the masses. and everyone listens to those kinda songs because it can be a source of immeasurable pleasure and entertainment. the entertainment that it gives is not liberating, and can also be a source of entrapment.

please pardon my poor english.

2:45 PM, April 23, 2005  
Blogger SirWhale said...

The question to ask, then, is why songs give 'immeasurable pleasure and entertainment' to the masses. (I have my own answer but it applies strictly only to myself)

Songs can liberate and trap at the same time.

Are jellybeans nice to eat?

10:23 PM, April 23, 2005  
Blogger a wandering jellybean said...

according to the frankfurt school theorists, 'high culture' liberates us and it unveils the underlying reality behind social structure.
and by high culture, i mean fine arts, classical music, experimental music, opera, ballet.
portishead can be considered as high culture as they experiment with sounds. however bands like radiohead are really in between pop culture and high culture.


sorry if i do not make any sense, my brain is quite dead.
and yes, jellybeans are nice.

8:00 AM, April 24, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home