American Beauty
Music: Nothing in particular.
Book: Franz Kafka - The Metamorphosis
Caught American Beauty for the third time. Never have I seen a show such as this that so manages to capture the neurotic elements of normality (there were many themes in there but this is the one I chose to revolve over) and condense so many incursions into the human mind (soul) within scenes that at the same time induce so much emotion...
My mind is buzzing with quotes, mini-scenes now and there is a certain temptation to splash it all out here and provide an unprofessional (personal) commentary of the film in general, but I wont. I am, for better or for worse, long past the age where I can and will willingly extend (some say impose) my influence on others; when it comes to rich experiences of this sort you're better off standing apart, alone, anyway.
For those who watched it however, I find the scenes where Jane took off her clothes for Ricky, and where Mr Lester refused to have sex with Angela despite her being the very (only?) object he saw beauty in, as well as little slip-ins like Mrs Fitts' (the colonel's wife)"Pardon the mess" when the camera panned towards a perfectly well-kept house, of particular notice.
From a little discussion I had after the show, two lines that I think, with respect to the film and with even more respect to our own lives, we should think over:
What could be more ordinary than to be extraordinary,
And what could be more extraordinary,
Than to be ordinary.
Ah, sometimes I wish I could extend myself beyond myself. I wish I could just let go and write.
It is easy to recognize a concentration in me of all my focus on writing. When it became clear in my organism that writing was the most productive direction for my being to take, everything rushed in that direction and left empty all those abilities which were directed toward the joys of sex, eating, drinking, philosophical reflection and above all music...Naturally, I did not find this purpose independently and consciously, it found itself, and is now interfered with only by the office, but that interferes with it completely...My development is now complete and, so far as I can see, there is nothing left to sacrifice; I need only throw my work in the office out of this complex in order to begin my real life.
-Kafka.
Book: Franz Kafka - The Metamorphosis
Caught American Beauty for the third time. Never have I seen a show such as this that so manages to capture the neurotic elements of normality (there were many themes in there but this is the one I chose to revolve over) and condense so many incursions into the human mind (soul) within scenes that at the same time induce so much emotion...
My mind is buzzing with quotes, mini-scenes now and there is a certain temptation to splash it all out here and provide an unprofessional (personal) commentary of the film in general, but I wont. I am, for better or for worse, long past the age where I can and will willingly extend (some say impose) my influence on others; when it comes to rich experiences of this sort you're better off standing apart, alone, anyway.
For those who watched it however, I find the scenes where Jane took off her clothes for Ricky, and where Mr Lester refused to have sex with Angela despite her being the very (only?) object he saw beauty in, as well as little slip-ins like Mrs Fitts' (the colonel's wife)"Pardon the mess" when the camera panned towards a perfectly well-kept house, of particular notice.
From a little discussion I had after the show, two lines that I think, with respect to the film and with even more respect to our own lives, we should think over:
What could be more ordinary than to be extraordinary,
And what could be more extraordinary,
Than to be ordinary.
Ah, sometimes I wish I could extend myself beyond myself. I wish I could just let go and write.
It is easy to recognize a concentration in me of all my focus on writing. When it became clear in my organism that writing was the most productive direction for my being to take, everything rushed in that direction and left empty all those abilities which were directed toward the joys of sex, eating, drinking, philosophical reflection and above all music...Naturally, I did not find this purpose independently and consciously, it found itself, and is now interfered with only by the office, but that interferes with it completely...My development is now complete and, so far as I can see, there is nothing left to sacrifice; I need only throw my work in the office out of this complex in order to begin my real life.
-Kafka.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home