Blog
Had to do something in school yesterday. Dropped by the FASS open house after that to say hi to some Philosophy peers and profs, grab some free books the English Language and Literature department was giving away, and see if there was any free lunch I could grab. Unfortunately, there wasn't. Fortunately, however, I managed to get 3 free books. Unfortunately, however, 2 of them were of questionable quality and it is doubtful if I would ever read them. The third was a better catch - the collected works of Sherlock Holmes (Vol I). It is doubtful if I would ever read that one too though, it's definitely not anywhere near the top of my reading list, nor would it ever be. But who cares - it's free, and books are as much a collectible item as statues.
As I was picking through the lot of questionable books, I was questioned twice by the English Language and Literature student helpers. First, I was asked if they could help me. I said no. Then I was asked if I was interested in finding out more about their programme. I said no. I was then asked what I was here for, to which I replied I was here to get some free books. Shortly after another person approached me. This time, he asked: Hi, have your queries been answered? Suspecting something amiss, I said yes. And he asked: What queries were they? To which I replied: I asked if these books are really free. To which he asked: Are you not here to find out more about our programme? To which I replied: No, I've already graduated. To which he replied: Well played sir, well played. He left, and I was left in some to peace to resume my picking of questionable books.
Some people are quite amusing. If you have declared a table of free books, then one shouldn't make so much of a fuss of people who come and pick through those free books without expressing any interest in the going-ons of other aspects of the booth. If one were quite mindful of freeloaders like me, then appropriate measures should have been taken: maybe declare that these books are only reserved for prospective students. Thus declared, I would have kept my hands off the books. Yes, for sure: the books were of questionable quality so it wouldn't have been too much of a loss. Though I would have asked why are they only reserved for prospective students. Note here that if I were in their shoes, I would be actually quite happy for anyone at all to look through and take the books without expressing any interest in other parts of the booth. That's in large part because I derive pleasure from seeing other people derive pleasure, especially in refreshingly honest ways.
Did a few things the past week. Went down to a free board games night held at a board games store in town. It was a niche community there - something I always like. It's just a bunch of board games enthusiasts who come together every week. A closed group, everyone knows everyone else. Some were having pizza, lounging about, others playing games. Everyone seemed to be enjoying themselves. Good stuff. Went with some friends, and we being shy people, found some initial difficulty trying to break into the niche community, especially when the most vocal person amongst us was being vocal on the phone with presumably a person of the opposite gender. In any case, managed to get introduced to and played a game.
Also held the first philosopy people only board game session. I mentioned previously that when it comes to punctuality and attendance, I don't expect philosophy students to be any better than non-philosophy students. I was not proven wrong. People were late, one last-minute cancelled because he had something else to do, another last-minute said something cropped up, would come by later but never did in the end, another remained uncontactable, whereabouts unknown. The whole range, everything also got. Started out slow consequently, but it got better as a couple of people turned up in the end and people warmed up to the games. I was quite pleased with the favourable reaction to Agricola, given that they were relatively new to board games and Agricola is a pretty hardcore one. I was hoping for more argumentation in a particular game though, but it was good enough.



As I was picking through the lot of questionable books, I was questioned twice by the English Language and Literature student helpers. First, I was asked if they could help me. I said no. Then I was asked if I was interested in finding out more about their programme. I said no. I was then asked what I was here for, to which I replied I was here to get some free books. Shortly after another person approached me. This time, he asked: Hi, have your queries been answered? Suspecting something amiss, I said yes. And he asked: What queries were they? To which I replied: I asked if these books are really free. To which he asked: Are you not here to find out more about our programme? To which I replied: No, I've already graduated. To which he replied: Well played sir, well played. He left, and I was left in some to peace to resume my picking of questionable books.
Some people are quite amusing. If you have declared a table of free books, then one shouldn't make so much of a fuss of people who come and pick through those free books without expressing any interest in the going-ons of other aspects of the booth. If one were quite mindful of freeloaders like me, then appropriate measures should have been taken: maybe declare that these books are only reserved for prospective students. Thus declared, I would have kept my hands off the books. Yes, for sure: the books were of questionable quality so it wouldn't have been too much of a loss. Though I would have asked why are they only reserved for prospective students. Note here that if I were in their shoes, I would be actually quite happy for anyone at all to look through and take the books without expressing any interest in other parts of the booth. That's in large part because I derive pleasure from seeing other people derive pleasure, especially in refreshingly honest ways.
Did a few things the past week. Went down to a free board games night held at a board games store in town. It was a niche community there - something I always like. It's just a bunch of board games enthusiasts who come together every week. A closed group, everyone knows everyone else. Some were having pizza, lounging about, others playing games. Everyone seemed to be enjoying themselves. Good stuff. Went with some friends, and we being shy people, found some initial difficulty trying to break into the niche community, especially when the most vocal person amongst us was being vocal on the phone with presumably a person of the opposite gender. In any case, managed to get introduced to and played a game.
Also held the first philosopy people only board game session. I mentioned previously that when it comes to punctuality and attendance, I don't expect philosophy students to be any better than non-philosophy students. I was not proven wrong. People were late, one last-minute cancelled because he had something else to do, another last-minute said something cropped up, would come by later but never did in the end, another remained uncontactable, whereabouts unknown. The whole range, everything also got. Started out slow consequently, but it got better as a couple of people turned up in the end and people warmed up to the games. I was quite pleased with the favourable reaction to Agricola, given that they were relatively new to board games and Agricola is a pretty hardcore one. I was hoping for more argumentation in a particular game though, but it was good enough.




4 Comments:
Zhanhui is "philosophy people"?
Nope, he is not.
you have a lot of fun at school :)
I am going to take the last two photos!
Post a Comment
<< Home