Nice cookies
Music: Oasis - Let There Be Love
Book: Matt Ridley - The Agile Gene
My very caustic maths tutor presented, perhaps unwittingly, a side of him that I never knew could exist in him today, at a last-min free-and-easy consultation session. Perhaps the sense of being appreciated removed, just for those 3 hours, his tough exterior; or perhaps he was touched that, out of the large portion of failures past and present in this school—failures not so much as they fail academically, but failures in the way they do not struggle to give themselves hope, there is this small vanguard of us which, in the purest sense of the word, genuinely wish to stay alive, and which, all things considered, want to win this war not for honour, but for ourselves.
Anyway I think he still tried to be funny by commenting I had STD, to which I did not return a trying-to-be-equally-funny reply because I was too busy fighting for myself and stuff.
It is important to note here that one should, at times, be serious when one’s life is at stake, but only at those occasional times.
Anyway I don’t have STD.
It was a nice session in any case. I don’t know about you but I feel a remarkably strong sense of unity whenever I see other desks cluttered with books, notes, files crushed paper and the occasional resting, or utterly deflated, head. It was a grueling three hours yes, but whenever I looked up from my own work in frustration I saw other similar if invariably prettier faces buried deep in their work (is that why their faces look prettier? Allright allright enough rubbish), the contents on their desks in as complete a disarray as mine, I felt a magical sense of harmony. It is because misery loves company, and when it does have it it converts itself into a positive shared identity/connection: look, you’re not alone in this, we’re in it all together.
It is, incidentally, therefore not very surprising some of the dearest times I had with my sec3/4 class occurred over the near period leading up to the O levels. Wonder if a similar situation would bring itself together in the short months to come.
500g of butterscotch chip with pecans await. I hope the double-meaning in that is apparent enough.
Nice moon these days too, and I hope her beauty is equally apparent when the clouds don’t cover her up.
Book: Matt Ridley - The Agile Gene
My very caustic maths tutor presented, perhaps unwittingly, a side of him that I never knew could exist in him today, at a last-min free-and-easy consultation session. Perhaps the sense of being appreciated removed, just for those 3 hours, his tough exterior; or perhaps he was touched that, out of the large portion of failures past and present in this school—failures not so much as they fail academically, but failures in the way they do not struggle to give themselves hope, there is this small vanguard of us which, in the purest sense of the word, genuinely wish to stay alive, and which, all things considered, want to win this war not for honour, but for ourselves.
Anyway I think he still tried to be funny by commenting I had STD, to which I did not return a trying-to-be-equally-funny reply because I was too busy fighting for myself and stuff.
It is important to note here that one should, at times, be serious when one’s life is at stake, but only at those occasional times.
Anyway I don’t have STD.
It was a nice session in any case. I don’t know about you but I feel a remarkably strong sense of unity whenever I see other desks cluttered with books, notes, files crushed paper and the occasional resting, or utterly deflated, head. It was a grueling three hours yes, but whenever I looked up from my own work in frustration I saw other similar if invariably prettier faces buried deep in their work (is that why their faces look prettier? Allright allright enough rubbish), the contents on their desks in as complete a disarray as mine, I felt a magical sense of harmony. It is because misery loves company, and when it does have it it converts itself into a positive shared identity/connection: look, you’re not alone in this, we’re in it all together.
It is, incidentally, therefore not very surprising some of the dearest times I had with my sec3/4 class occurred over the near period leading up to the O levels. Wonder if a similar situation would bring itself together in the short months to come.
500g of butterscotch chip with pecans await. I hope the double-meaning in that is apparent enough.
Nice moon these days too, and I hope her beauty is equally apparent when the clouds don’t cover her up.

2 Comments:
It's been raining cats and dogs around 3-5am these days in my area! The moooon! Sigh. You know how rainclouds get in the way.
I rather have rain than moonlight.
Post a Comment
<< Home